It was a bright Sunday morning. As usual the summer heat was at its peak in May. We were expecting guests at our residence, my dad's best friends daughter 'Akansha' who had completed her 10th board exams was expected to spend a week of holidays in my home. I always had a competition with her in studies and other extra curricular activities, though she was far more intelligent and creative than me. She was the basket ball champ, swimming champ and also was a part of the band in her college and like always this time too she was tipped to be the topper. I was an average student and there is nothing extraordinary to tell about me except that i was only good at sports. I was excited at the prospect of hosting her and was eager to show off my intelligence and impress her (This was my agenda for the week).
Finally the bell rang and it was her along with her mom and dad.They were well received by my family.Akansha looked stunning in her black dress which complemented her fair and smoother skin.I wanted to touch and feel the softness and tenderness of her skin so I attempted to shake her hand and introduce myself for which she said "How many times will you introduce yourself ? I know you" with a smile and moved away. A thousand questions ran in my mind. How well does she know me? What does she know about me?
The next day my friends Piyush and Rajat had planned for a Outing ,They planned to swim at the famous 'well' in the outskirts of the town and then had plans of playing cricket at Rajat's farm where we would be joined by our other friends.
"If you don't mind can I join you ?" asked Akansha .
"Oh surely,why not !"I responded with a air of superiority.
We started our journey the following morning.
Me and Akansha were seated in the back seat of the car and Rajat was driving with Piyush beside him. It was Rajat's car after all.
"The weather is hot isn't it ?"she asked.
"Ya,its all due to this bloody global warming,plz switch on the ac" I told Rajat.
"You know 'ac ' is also one of the reasons for global warming ?" she asked.
"Ohh ya ya , I am always in a funny mood when I am with Rajat ha ha " I tried to hide my stupidity.
"ha ha ha " Piyush laughed (whether on me or my joke was difficult to say).
"So you know swimming ?"
"Yah I underwent a training course but then left in the middle " The fact is that I have never attempted swimming in my entire life but then the inferiority/superiority complex played a major role in my response.
"why did you leave it ?" This interview was making me even more uncomfortable.
"He he I cant tell that " Since i didn't have any answer.
"Hey tell me plzz" she said so sweetly.
"Actually na that lady trainer had a crush on me and used to touch me at "unthinkable" places in the name of training" A knowledge bulb enlightened in my head but it could only cook this silly story within that small time frame.
"A lady trainer for swimming ?weird.Which are those unthinkable places?"
I had an urge to jump out of the moving car, the best possible way to avoid her barrage of questions,I thought.But by god's grace we reached the "well" just in time.
It was a huge well with four pillars on the four corners erected inside, with pedestals at each of the corners.The water was present at a depth of approximately 20 or 25 feet.A group of kids were swimming in one of the corner .
"We will be right back " said Rajat .He and Piyush headed towards the waters.
"Why don't you join them ?" asked Akansha.
"Hey no mood"
"Such a ideal weather for swimming and you don't have mood ? weird ." This comment of hers had a profound impact on me and I decided to remove my clothes and sit at one of the corners on the top and give an impression that I was enjoying the view at least.
"Wow your boxer is quite trendy "she commented. It was a yellow boxer with "danger " written in red at the back.
" I always select unique things " I behaved as If I was proud of my selection.It was Piyush's gift on one of my b'days.
"Did you buy it from a circus?" she burst into laughter.
I turned away facing the 'well' unable to bear the embarrassment and then suddenly someone pushed me hard from behind and within seconds I was in air and then splashed hard on the water .The air bubbles greeted me and I held on to something (which turned out to be a swimmers leg). There was chaos in water,I was gasping for breath.I heard someone curse me and then someone dragged and placed me on the pedestal on one of the four corners of the well. I Stood there ,the water was waist height. The ripples created by the other divers was pulling me towards the center of the well and the pedestal was too slippery. Once I regained my composure, I went into a state of shock, to my horror I noticed that the only protective covering (the yellow boxer) was missing. Oh shit, I stood naked in water.
"Piyush ,Piyush" I screamed at him and ordered him to find it as soon as possible until then I decided to stand on the pedestal hoping for magic to happen.
"I will be right back " he said and went in search of my esteemed boxer, my only ray of hope.
“What happened” or something she asked standing at the place where I was a few minutes back just before the tragedy struck.
I waved at her indicating her to get back in car. Looking at her expressions I could make out that she hadn't understood the gravity of the situation but after a few minutes she vanished from the site much to my relief.
"What happened " I heard her voice again. This time she was standing right on the top of where I stood (not exactly on top:) ). Her voice made my heart skip a beat or two.
"Hey dude, tell me the color " shouted Piyush from the other end.
"What color ?" she gave a perplexed look.
"Actually he is on a treasure hunt and is searching for pearls "
.
"Hey dude Is danger written on it ?" Piyush screamed in excitement. If I was not in the state in which I was, would surely have waked this idiot for spoiling my already spoiled reputation today. I remained speechless.
Within minutes " here it is " my friend declared. He was holding a stick and on top of that was hanging the esteemed boxer of mine .
"Ha ha " I heard her laugh loudly and then there was complete silence and she had vanished from the sight. I felt my self as Hiroshima on which a nuclear bomb was dropped. I wanted to kick the hell out of Piyush but was helpless.
Finally I was out with my friends help and was staring at the waters from the exact position where she stood sometime back.
"Dont worry nothing was visible " she said with a serious look on her face which soon turned into a naughty smile. For a moment I though why didn’t I get drowned in the water rather than facing her.
"I think I just saw a snake " I tried to divert her attention from my embarrassment.
"How is that possible ". She could barely control her laughter.
"Snake?"
" No how is it possible that you lost it ?" she was clever enough.
"You know the place where I landed is popularly known as the Bermuda triangle, People generally don't go in that area, The gravitational pull somehow seems to be too strong in there" I tried to cover up my embarrassment.
" Ohhh really ?" she looked amazed at my knowledge and then to my dismay a small kid of around 8 or 10 years came running and dived at the same spot where I had landed a few minutes back and then came out with his protective covering intact and again repeated the act with the same result. I felt like throwing a big bolder over this kids head so that he sinks along with it in the well.
" You will surely make a good story writer one day " she said laughing along the way. I was happy that she acknowledged the fact that I was at at least good at something and not a complete looser.
And here I am down the line writing a story on the same event that embarrassed me like hell, Though it didn’t flash me that time I am surely gonna ask her about the person who pushed me into the well….. if ever I get an opportunity to meet her.

0 comments:
Post a Comment